Saturday, June 21, 2008

Some progress

Well, this week started out with a bang! I am still in a happily surprised state about the sample dress being mailed to my house.

On Monday evening, I talked with a seamstress that Karen recommended when we thought we might need a new dress. Claudine of Bridal Perfections, http://www.bridalperfections.com/ happens to have enough time in her schedule to be able to take me on as a client. We've set an appointment up for Tuesday evening to go over the dress and what options I have to get it sized and styled. I'm pretty confident that she'll be able to work with my dress and if not, we'll have a set plan for what I'll wear on August 8th (six weeks and six days from today, eek!).

The few times I have spoken with Claudine via phone and through our e-mails, I have felt really good about working with her. Needless to say, I'm a little skittish about working with anyone right now. However, she has come highly recommended. Not only has Karen praised her work, but Lisa of Dream Weddings (the rental shop), said she was her first pick in local seamstresses to do alteration work. Claudine has always returned my e-mails within an hour and gave me an outline of what her summer schedule would be like so that I would know what our time line could look like.

On Wednesday, while my uncle was flying home to surprise his two daughters, John and I were tasting our meal options for the reception. We went through salad and dressings, bread, and four meal choices pretty quickly. And the decisions, were pretty effortless. I don't know what I expected, but it was such a smooth experience that I was bewildered when it was all over. It felt almost anticlimactic. I definitely needed dessert to tie it all together.

Cake tasting will be today, though. We had originally thought that we could pick up the cakes on any day of the week, so I planned to bring the cakes to my Bible study group for a fun way to hang out. To keep the cake tasting cost low, tasting cakes are only offered for Saturday pick up. That, of course, changes my plans for a mini party and leaves us with more cake (aw!). In a few hours, John and I will pick up three cakes, each with a different filling. Ordering the cakes gave me a buzz of happy excitement last Saturday. Today, I'll just be buzzed from the sugar high.

My aunt will be making some sugar flowers to decorate the cake. Knowing her absolute love for cake decorating and her talent, this will be a super pretty cake. I have been assured that the cakes will taste as amazing as I have imagined it. Karen often uses Mary Anne of Baker's Delight (no website, sorry) for cakes. My Bible study leaders also had their cake made by her shop and have said it was a great tasting cake. I may have built this up in my mind too much, but I'll know in a few hours.

Last night, John and I visited a local restaurant that could accommodate us for our rehearsal dinner. I expect to have an informational packet later this weekend from their manager. We're hoping to have a relaxed atmosphere for our dinner where we can decompress before the wedding and all of the formality that will ensue. We were going to have it at the Chinese restaurant, Wok of Flame, the site of the infamous fortune cookies, but the restaurant doesn't have a private space where we could interact with everyone.

It's pretty much been all about food this week. Food and the dress. The Dress Incident has been the topic of many conversations and e-mails. It was definitely a memorable experience and one that no one wants to endure. I think my mom is still shell shocked, but recuperating nicely. I'm not sure what kind of recourse I have with the credit card company since I have a sample dress, but my mom is handling that for me (woo hoo!), so we'll see.

This weekend will a busy one. I have envelopes to address and get mailed out. Another one of my aunts is in town visiting, so I'll be heading to my parents' house to spend some time with her. John's friend retired and there's a party to attend tonight. Oh well, the cake will see us through the weekend, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Hi said...

Hope you can solve the incident with the dress and find the best cake!