Emily is getting married today. Omigosh!
Emily
is
getting
married
today!
I don't know how this day snuck up on me, but it did. I've known it was coming since their engagement in October and I've been preparing a toast ever since. I've had many drafts written mentally throughout the months and yet, two weeks ago, everything left my mind. I completely forgot about my toast. The speech that I had so carefully crafted, and absentmindedly not written down, was nowhere to be found. Not even in the deep recesses of my mind.
I'm the Maid of Honor. I shouldn't forget. And yet, when her mom asked me about it last night at the rehearsal dinner, I got that panicked feeling like I had a test I didn't study for. One that I thought was next week. Duh!
Thankfully, the words came quickly this morning and I have something to share while all eyes are on me. Hopefully they'll be on the couple because public speaking isn't my thing.
I heard once that some philosophers believe that life begins at the moment you truly love. Having known Emily for half her life, I know she had life before she met Marc, but when I look back at the start of their relationship, I see how alive she is now that she knows Marc.
Emily has a lightness and giddiness that I never saw before in her. The friend that I've known actually giggles now. Giggles. There is a smile and warmness that cannot be wiped away when she’s in your presence. Marc, I thank you for bringing that to Emily’s life.
As a long standing friend, it’s my duty to give you some warning about hurting her. But I know, with you, that’s not something I ever have to utter. I see how you are with her. How protective, with your arm constantly around her. How caring you are; always looking to make sure that she’s comfortable and happy.
It is a beauty – and an honor - to see your relationship and the love that you two have for each other. The two of you just gravitate towards each other. Inseparable. May your love continue to grow and deepen throughout the years of your marriage. And may you always be giddy.
To Marc and Emily!
Emily has a lightness and giddiness that I never saw before in her. The friend that I've known actually giggles now. Giggles. There is a smile and warmness that cannot be wiped away when she’s in your presence. Marc, I thank you for bringing that to Emily’s life.
As a long standing friend, it’s my duty to give you some warning about hurting her. But I know, with you, that’s not something I ever have to utter. I see how you are with her. How protective, with your arm constantly around her. How caring you are; always looking to make sure that she’s comfortable and happy.
It is a beauty – and an honor - to see your relationship and the love that you two have for each other. The two of you just gravitate towards each other. Inseparable. May your love continue to grow and deepen throughout the years of your marriage. And may you always be giddy.
To Marc and Emily!
I've gotten all misty eyed and girly several times while typing out what I have to say, so we'll see how well I'll hold it together. Thankfully, her family is known for being marshmallows, so I'll be in good company. 
No comments:
Post a Comment