CAKE TASTING!
After dress shopping, this was the one next most anticipated wedding planning task for me. I could not wait to pick up the cakes and get a slice of everything. Cake, filling, frosting - we had a variety sitting in pink boxes waiting to be tasted.
Baker's Delight has a small shop, but a varied menu of cake options. John and I were overwhelmed with choices when we did our initial visit, so Mary Anne helped us narrow them down and find a way to try different flavor combinations in one cake. It was such a simple solution, that it was almost crazy: treat it like a pizza with two different sauces; each cake half had a different filling.
So, on Saturday June 21, John and I picked up six different cake combinations in the form of three cakes. Three small pink boxes to share with other discerning taste buds. We hauled them up to my parents' house and shared them with my parents and my aunt, Juanin, who was visiting from Puerto Rico.
Juanin had just arrived the night before and was surprisingly well rested after such a long flight, but I had work for her to do. And work it was. It's not easy to eat cake and have to pick a hands down favorite. John would disagree because in his estimation, the cake world begins and ends with the Costco chocolate cake. Gooey chocolaty perfection. There is a wonderfulness about the Costco cake, but it's richness can be overwhelming.
Cake tasting was made into an event. Mom brought out her china and good silverware and we used the fancy cake server (practice for the wedding day?) and sliced up the cakes. I decided to serve each person three cake slices up front and and then do a second round of the remaining flavors.
Five adults, six combinations, no consensus. Well, there was one consensus, the chocolate wasn't rich enough. John liked the sweeter frosting and the rest of us liked the softer frosting. Dad liked the lemon with raspberry mousse. Mom couldn't decide. Juanin was getting sick from the sweets.
Little did she know that her entire visit would revolve around sweets - trips to the Jelly Belly Factory, Ghiradelli square, and candy shoppes in Old Town San Diego. Not to mention the daily desserts of ice cream and the neighbor's amazing pound cake. If she gained 10 pounds during her visit, I wouldn't be surprised.
It's been almost a month since tasting the cakes and I still am hesitant to make a choice. We have to get the cake ordered and that requires a decision and consensus between John and me. Like baby names, it will be revealed in due time.
No comments:
Post a Comment