Shocker of all shockers!
My dress was waiting for me on my porch this evening!
Well, it's not really my dress, but the sample that I tried on. Inside the box, that John brought in (No, he didn't see it!), was the dress protected by a large garment bag and a handwritten note.
Dagnes,
I am sorry to inform you that Gerlach Couture Bridal will be closing due to unforeseen circumstances. The business will be filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
I feel absolutely terrible, but I had no choice. I do however have the sample that you tried on in the store. I know that the dress was a little small, but you can take it to alterations and have them make it fit you perfectly.
I am so sorry ... you could never imagine how horrible I feel and how hard it is for me to write this letter.
I am in a terrible financial situation and have no choice.
I hope everything goes well for you and your marriage.
I know a couple of seamstresses that I have used that have done a wonderful job. There is Galina's alterations and Moonlight Alterations.
Sincerely, Gerlach Couture
On other websites, people have expressed their frustrations about how Erica closed the doors to her business. Some even wondered if this was a purposeful sham intent on bilking thousands of dollars from starry eyed brides. I had chosen to think that it's been an unfortunate situation and she's become overwhelmed with everything. Apparently, that was the case.
Whatever the cause of the situation, it's happened and hopefully we can all learn from it. I've learned the importance of paying deposits and using credit cards to minimize the chance of loss. And letting go has given me an incredibly freeing feeling.
For once, I didn't worry about what I was going to wear. Uncharacteristically, I didn't obsess about details and refused to get angry with the situation. I had a back-up plan (renting a gown) and was content going that route. I chose to focus on the good that was in my life: John and I are healthy, have jobs, and are in good financial positions. My uncle will be home this summer from Iraq after serving for 17 months. My aunt finished cancer treatment is on her way to recovery. Of all the things to focus on, I told myself, there were far more positive things to think about.
This was one of those moments where I trusted that everything would work out.
And it did!
I hope that this story has restored some faith in humanity for a few of you or helped you see the truth of Matthew 6:25-34.
Oh yeah, and Friday the 13th is just a silly superstition.
1 comment:
Dagnes,
This is so awesome and what a sweet note she left!
Meg
Post a Comment