Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Taste of Childhood

There are some foods that always remind me of childhood, or younger years. My parents have this photo of me with a big bag of Cheetos and superbly orange fingers. If I'm ever in a silly mood, I grab myself a bag of those.

When my friends hosted slumber parties, there were things that were necessary for it to be a hit: Cool Ranch Doritos, Dr. Pepper (we were convinced it helped you stay up longer), and homemade Chex Mix (back in the day before it was sold ready made in a bag) But the topper was always the Mothers Circus Animal Cookies. Those wonderful pink and white iced animal shaped cookies were a special treat.

Every workday, John has the same lunch - a sandwich, chips, and three Mother's Iced Oatmeal cookies (from the bag). The cookies in the bag have a different flavor from the ones that come in the divided trays. I can't taste it, but his taste buds are super sensitive, so I believe him. Lunch is not lunch without those cookies.

Well, he's going to have to adapt. We've spent the past two weeks looking for those cookies and our grocery store isn't carrying them. I got online today to e-mail the company and get some details about which area stores must be shelving these bags of yummies. The first 10 hits on Google came up with news stories: the factory in Oakland shut down on 10/9 and the home office filed bankruptcy.

Before I got online, John had joked that they were probably going out of business. I figured it was some political thing between our grocery chain and the cookie supplier. Uh, no. Mother's Cookies is no more. The Taffy sandwhich cookies that Dad would dip in his coffee are a thing of the past.

I think I'll be able to live without the pink and white iced animal crackers, but I don't know how long it will take for John to find his substitute lunchtime cookie. He's taking it pretty well, but you never know with the grieving process. Right now, he's asking why the government didn't bail this company out. "Mothers Cookies was a company worth saving!"
In lieu of flowers, please send cookies.

1 comment:

Nalani said...

That is so sad! I can't believe they went out of business. That is lame.