So I tried a new recipe yesterday. I have been dying for the weather to get cooler so that I could make this tortilla soup. I had to settle for the tiniest drizzle of rain on Friday as an excuse, but I took it and ran with it.
Some things I learned:
- Chicken with bones add a good deal of flavor, but let it cool before you start deboning. I think I could probably commit a crime without being detected because I am convinced that I burned off my fingerprints.
- A little cilantro never killed anyone. More flavor should not be feared. I was so sure that I should follow the recipe that it never occured to me to add salt, pepper, or other natural flavorings. It hit me this morning that cilantro would have been a good addition.
- Don't talk up a recipe. My friend, JoAnn, had brought this to work a few times and I loved it. I was so excited about testing the recipe that I shared the excitement with John. WRONG move. A hyped up recipe will never be loved - no matter how good your first attempt is.
- Be prepared for leftovers. I think we'll be eating this soup for weeks and I should have put it in some freezable containers instead of the pretty ones that were closer on the shelves.
For those of you who want to wow people in the kitchen, or just have a pretty cool party trick, check out this video that another friend sent me:
2 comments:
JoAnn's tortilla soup is THE BEST!! :)
I did not know the peeling egg trick. Pretty Cul!
Post a Comment