Monday, October 6, 2008

The Things You Learn

People tell you when you get engaged that things will be different. Everything changes. When John and I got married, I didn't feel all that different. There wasn't this amazing BOOM of feelings like there was when we got engaged. There wasn't much in the way of growing pains for us. Ever since the honeymoon, I've kept a vigilant eye out for changes: anything that would scream "You're married now!"

So far, I've learned that John's love for oatmeal is based on its ability to house an enormous amount of brown sugar. Similarly, sopapillas are wonderful pockets for gobs of honey. The man who can buy Thin Mints from the Girl Scouts in February and keep them (on the counter in plain view!) until May has a sweet tooth. Four years together and this was an epiphany.

John was sick this weekend and I was reminded of something I learned while we were engaged. Some people (me) like to be babied when they're sick; the extra TLC and attention can be therapeutic. Favorite foods, special blankies, and old movies. The fussy buzzing is not for others, though. There are people, who oddly enough, like to be left alone and don't want to be reminded that they're sick. They'll even get up and do whatever they can to forget that they're sick. That would be my hubby.

Thankfully, this was just a reminder and not a learning experience. I called John on Friday night after dining with my gal pals to find out that he was sick. So, I got into Super Wife mode and went to three drugstores (two were closed) to stock up on the necessary meds and fluids. I know, I know, a good wife would have already had a stash of the requisite meds in the house. I can't really get around that one, so we'll focus on the fact that I picked up his favorite Gatorade flavor and a maple bar so that he had something to cheer him up the next morning. Let's not focus on the fact that I bought the wrong NyQuil flavor or that the donut was stale. The donut was manageable, but cherry flavored is acceptable, but not the yummy (to him) original flavor or anise / black licorice. Was that purposeful on my part? No!

The late night shopping trip was appreciated, but I think he was most comforted when I left him to his NyQuil induced sleep. I spent the weekend fighting my urge to go upstairs and check up on him. Sadly, the times I was SURE he was stirring about upstairs, he was asleep ... until I woke him up. Now I know why Mom always gave us the dinner bell when we got sick. I think I'll need to get one before flu season.

John's illness was only a head cold and now he's back at work enjoying being a part of the real world. Me, I'm doing my best to overcome my hypochondria.

No comments: