Saturday, July 19, 2008

Making a List, Checking it Twice

There are so many little tasks to do when planning a wedding. Although the wedding website I'm using to track our guest list (http://www.theknot.com/) has a To Do checklist, it has so many items that don't apply to our planned event and was so overwhelming that I opted to not rely on it.

The problem was that letting all the To Do items roam around in my head was stressing me out and I wasn't sharing the "fun" with John or others.John encouraged me to write down all of the items that were running around in my head. What we realized is that some of the items that I felt we needed to get done were items we could do after the wedding - things that would get John settled into my place and make it OURS. A glaring item to get done was the wedding license.

A few days later, John picked me up from work and we drove down to our county's courthouse. We were both pretty excited. Well, John is Mr. Stoic, but I could tell he was all a twitter inside. Or, that's just me taking some freedom with my memory.

We arrived in the office and the woman who worked the counter was so dispassionate that it really ruined the mood for me. Our application had been filled out in advance and I happily handed it over to her. She handed it back to us with a slight grimace like we were supposed to know what to do and that we apply marriage licenses all the time. Do I look like Liz Taylor?!?

And without a word, she pointed to some computers to our left. We entered in all of the information - again - and returned to her desk two feet away. I swear she looked at us like we had just arrived and didn't know how to process us.

Totally. Killing. The mood.

In an almost robotic tone, she instructed us to go over our license application and confirm that the information was correct. Everything looked good, so we paid the fee and she printed out the license. She also handed over a booklet about health and other medical issues that might arise in our marriage. She apologized that it was so simplistic and half-heartedly wished us well. "Congratulations" in a ho-hum way. Again, total mood killer.

As we were driving away from the court house, my mother called me to let me know she was heading out of town. During our conversation, she asked me "Did you get your marriage license yet?" I was so happy to be able to say a simple "Yes" and not look like the slacker bride I've been. Goodness, if she had called just an hour earlier, it would have been a whole different story.

Going with our productive state, John and I traveled back to town to visit a jeweler and test a restaurant that we were considering for the rehearsal dinner. It would have been too perfect if everything had gone "as planned" and we would have ended the day with a restaurant finalized and our rings ordered. Um, no.

The restaurant we visited had delicious fancy food. It was elegant and formal, but the waitstaff had a snobby air about them and it didn't feel comfortable. John and I really want to enjoy ourselves at our rehearsal dinner and not have to worry since the next day will be busy and hectic. Another day of dressing up was not on John's To Do List so we easily agreed that this restaurant was not an option.

Just as soon as I got frustrated with the things that we didn't get done, John quickly reminded me that we had one thing we could cross off our list and had better direction for the upcoming weeks. He's so great.

No comments: