Wednesday, July 30, 2008

T-minus 10

Yesterday, there were 10 days left until the wedding. 10.

Holy cow! 10 days!

If you had asked me last week how wedding plans were going, I would have said everything was fine and in order. Now, I'm thinking, "Not so much."

Things are probably in order, but there are several items that need to get done. Just finalizing things. It feels as though there are so many things that life is getting blurred. Maybe that's because I'm also leaving the office and the work checklist is just as big as the one for the wedding.

A sampling of outstanding work stuff: Monthly reports for the unions and workers comp, instructions for how to do payroll, update pay information for the newly incorporated wage rates for some union employees, payment applications to the school district, notices to the subcontractors. The practical side of me is trying to remind the stress-case side of me that I have coworkers that are completely capable of handling my workload while I'm gone. The emotional people pleasing side of me doesn't want to leave such a load for my coworkers. At least a list of notes will help, but what if my notes are unclear? Would it be kosher to take along my cell phone and check in to the office? Am I so egotistical that I really think the office can't run without me? Maybe.

John has been moving into our place these past few days. I have to keep saying our place because I need the reminder that it's not just mine anymore. Which is weird since I'm not there right now. So, is it his place? Sharing food, time, the TV, and bank accounts are all things that I can mentally adjust to with married life, I'm sure. Sharing closet space is a whole other story!

I have tremendous bedroom closet space in my - OUR - house, but we both have a lot of stuff. Me - clothes and shoes. Him - stuff. I don't know what it is, but he's got things that take up space. Egads! Where will we put everything?!? Right now, there's a lot in the garage. I suspect that the next few days will be spent going through everything and determining what needs to go to charity. The issue is that we need to decide as a team what is quality, what has an emotional pull, and whether there is any purpose in keeping the item(s). When we get back from the honeymoon, we'll need to tackle that and open up the garage for the car. Not the most exciting thing to have on our list when we get home, but it's definitely a necessity.

BTW: Does anyone know of a good place where we could donate our old household goods? With all these fires, I'm sure that someone could be helped.

I have two more fittings, packing, some last minute wedding day items to buy, and then I can actually spend some time with my family that will be coming into town in the next few days. It will be hectic, it's supposed to be fun, but I'm not sure I have the fun hat on right now.

1 comment:

wordsmithwest said...

you will survive, my friend - trust me! Besides, all you really need is the pastor and the groom, and its all good!

As for donations, just do the goodwill thing. But... if you've got a lot, take the time (later) to itemize everything (using something like ItsDeductible) and get that tax deduction.