Monday, April 21, 2008

Blushing Bride?!?

I thought that once I got engaged, I'd be like all of those blushing brides - the sweet rosy hue cheeks and the absolute giddiness that just emanates from every pore. I don't know if it's because I'm older or if it's because I'm so dreadfully Type-A that I am completely stressed out about wedding planning.

I actually develop a rash when I talk about any detail of the wedding. And sometimes even if I think about it. It's a little insane and it's very hard to move forward with planning a wedding when you're itchy and absolutely uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure about the groom. He's wonderful. And that's not just because he's reading over my shoulder as I type this. We've dated for 3 and a half years and I know he's absolutely perfect for me. It's just the wedding. The dream wedding that has been floating in my head since I was in grade school needs to meet the practicality of the woman I am today. And more importantly, it has to meet a budget without looking cheap. I like the idea of a dinner party - candlelit tables and an intimate setting. My fiancee and I are adamant about having a small group so that we can actually interact with everyone that has come to join us.

For us, this means most likely excluding extended family members. I have so many aunts, uncles, and cousins, that it would be very lopsided if we included everyone. Most importantly, though, is that if we're keeping it small (50 max), we'll need to actually pick family members and the idea of ranking family just seems crass. How do I chose one family member over another? How do I keep anyone from getting offended?

I think wedding planners should be retired politicians. I think that would help me the most. Emily Post and other etiquette experts don't touch this topic.

No comments: