Friday, April 16, 2010

A Great Billboard

Now that we've moved, my route home involves very little freeway travel which has limited my exposure to billboards and their announcements.

Earlier this week I came across the most truthful billboard I have ever seen.  It had a bold red background and a gleaming box of fries emblazoned with the McDonald's emblem.  The words "happiness in a box" were neatly hanging over the box.  Oh, so very true.

My mouth watered as I thought about those deliciously fried potatoes.  My mind wandered and danced about the memories of fry-filled meals.  There is just something so amazing about McDonald's fries.  I've never met anyone that denies its superiority over all others fries.  Everyone I know judges all fries against the Golden Standard of what is the McDonald's fry.  I've enjoyed curly, seasoned, and natural cut, but they've never satisfied me as those from the world famous burger chain.

I remember reading that when McDonald's opened their first restaurant in Russia that they shipped out potatoes from the states because they could not replicate the flavor with the potatoes native to the area.  If I recall correctly, the Russian potatoes had a higher concentration of starch and resulted in an oddly tasting fry.  It had never occured to me that potatoes were that different, but clearly the difference was substantial enough that a giant corporation could not get behind their product unless they shipped another potato clear across the world.

Even with my current weight loss regime, I save room for fries as a guilty pleasure and treat.  And that billboard reminded of the deep fried goodness that I haven't enjoyed in a while. 

No comments: