I have this theory about movies - if a movie has more than 2 A-listers, you've got a real stinker on your hands. It may be popular, but it's definitely not worth movie ticket prices. Save your coins and rent the thing.
Apparently, some Twilight saga teen wolf agrees with me and is already bashing the upcoming release of a movie so packed with stars that the opening scenes will look like the closing credits.
There are, of course, some exceptions to this rule. I've had to come up with categories to organize the anomalies and make sense of the stray movies that don't follow my rule.
If the movie is a series of vignettes and not one complete story, you have the opportunity of each actor shining alone and still making the story work. There's a greater chance that it's a winning delightful 2 hour jaunt, but odds are still low that it will be a shining start. Since most movies are one fluid story, A-listers are more apt to be competing for attention and screen time. I haven't seen the award-winning Crash, but I've heard it's in vignette style and would fit within this category.
If one of the A-listers is a character actor, you could potentially have a good movie on your hands. The Kates (Blanchett and Winslet) and the Bad Guys (Oldman and Malkovich) are actors who meld into a story rather than try to overpower it.
And lastly, the ultimate anomaly: a well written screenplay with a solid story and a director with uncompromising vision. These are often historical epics like Cold Mountain, but The Departed is also nestled within this category.
Now that I've put this theory out there, I realize it's up for scrutiny.
I'm constantly trying to find a movie that doesn't fit within these categories but is still a good movie (even award winning) and with those, I usually find stars who've come out of retirement (quasi-character actors) or actors who weren't known until after the movie's success. Steel Magnolia, The Color Purple, Gladiator, The Lord of The Rings trilogy.
Add to the list, please.
No comments:
Post a Comment