I spent the entire week driving to work with some level of fog in my midst.
On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I drove in absolute admiration and wonder of the beauty of fog. The gorgeous white thin layer of cloud danced over the fields I drove past. They glimmered and reflected the rising sun. Gorgeous colors of muted pinks, purples, and blues just greeted me. I spent those drives capturing the images of barren tree branches reaching up to the skies in my mind. Everything was so beautiful. Amazing. Unfortunately, I had only left myself enough time to just get to work.
If I had thought better, I would have planned ahead and taken out my trusty camera and captured something, anything, so that I could come home and show John. On those three days, I thought of convincing John to wake up early and head out on a photo quest. We could pack up some warm goodies and fill up a thermos with some cocoa and shoot some scenery.
Neither of us are big fans of having photos of ourselves everywhere. With no kids to embarrass, there's not much to put up on the walls. Thankfully, John has an amazing ability with cameras. This little adventure would mean we could get something up on our new walls. Or so I planned.
Then came Thursday with its massive amount of fog. The thick, ugly, dangerous fog that hung low and high and wide. Covered everything. No bright sun rays peaking through any cracks. No wonderful black branches standing boldly against the sky. Only the thick scary fog. What was so beautiful and captivating to me had changed to some ominous force of nature to be reckoned with.
I had originally picked my route to work to maximize on the speed limit - a sweet 55 on the country roads. Fast enough to feel like a speed demon and avoid a large amount of traffic. The fog had changed all that - I was now driving a timid 35. Gone were the desires to capture any beauty held within the fog. Now, I just wanted to get to work alive.
Amazing how something so simple and even beautiful can quickly change into something so treacherous and dangerous. Fog isn't just a San Francisco treat, it's definitely in our area. And now that we have moved further away from town centers, it's something I have to contend with.
Hopefully, Thursday's fear won't keep me from bundling up in sweatshirts and charging camera batteries. I'd like to have some shots framed and on the walls within the next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment