I never know how to respond to that question because I want to be polite, but I also want to teach people that Puerto Ricans speak Spanish.
Well, this Puerto Rican chick doesn't speak Spanish. It's not something I'm proud of since I learned that language first, came to California, and then learned English. Somehow, Spanish was lost.
When I was growing up, people assumed that if you were Hispanic / Latin (or whatever the PC term is today), that you must be Mexican. In California, odds are higher that a Latino is Mexican, but the serious shock that ensues when I tell people I am Puerto Rican is a bit much. It's kind of like "Why are you here (in CA and not NYC)?"
Well, surprise, surprise. Latin people can live in any location.
Apparently, the Sacramento radio stations don't seem to understand that. A few years ago, the Spanish music stations were off the hook. Just great. Salsa, merengue, and other types of Spanish music that I grew up with. This of course was fueled by the whole Ricky Martin / salsa craze that gripped the nation. As time has worn on, the radio stations have played less and less global Spanish music.
I hit my preset radio buttons in my non-cd playing car and am met with nothing that would make me want to shake my bon-bon. With all the various types of Latin music, it's hard for me to accept that only Regional Mexican (the official Latin Billboards music category) can be played on the radio. Needless to say, it's frustrating to only hear one type on at least three Spanish stations in the Sacramento area.
For those who don't listen to Spanish music and are probably internally wondering what the big deal is: imagine turning on the radio or pulling up Pandora and only having one specific type of music within one genre to listen to. And add to that it's not your favorite type of music. It's like only getting to hear Dixieland Jazz when all you want to listen to is Classic Rock. Doesn't quite cut it.
I don't have the heart to change the radio presets. I guess I have this delusion, that somehow, the radio stations will wise up and add more Tropical, Salsa, or other Latin style of music that I love. I'll even take some old school tunes if that's what it will take.
While I wait for the radio stations to start playing my music, I have to resort to some mix tapes friends and family have made for me. It's a sad existence to rely on such lowly musical devices, but it's all I have.
Well, this Puerto Rican chick doesn't speak Spanish. It's not something I'm proud of since I learned that language first, came to California, and then learned English. Somehow, Spanish was lost.
When I was growing up, people assumed that if you were Hispanic / Latin (or whatever the PC term is today), that you must be Mexican. In California, odds are higher that a Latino is Mexican, but the serious shock that ensues when I tell people I am Puerto Rican is a bit much. It's kind of like "Why are you here (in CA and not NYC)?"
Well, surprise, surprise. Latin people can live in any location.
Apparently, the Sacramento radio stations don't seem to understand that. A few years ago, the Spanish music stations were off the hook. Just great. Salsa, merengue, and other types of Spanish music that I grew up with. This of course was fueled by the whole Ricky Martin / salsa craze that gripped the nation. As time has worn on, the radio stations have played less and less global Spanish music.
I hit my preset radio buttons in my non-cd playing car and am met with nothing that would make me want to shake my bon-bon. With all the various types of Latin music, it's hard for me to accept that only Regional Mexican (the official Latin Billboards music category) can be played on the radio. Needless to say, it's frustrating to only hear one type on at least three Spanish stations in the Sacramento area.
For those who don't listen to Spanish music and are probably internally wondering what the big deal is: imagine turning on the radio or pulling up Pandora and only having one specific type of music within one genre to listen to. And add to that it's not your favorite type of music. It's like only getting to hear Dixieland Jazz when all you want to listen to is Classic Rock. Doesn't quite cut it.
I don't have the heart to change the radio presets. I guess I have this delusion, that somehow, the radio stations will wise up and add more Tropical, Salsa, or other Latin style of music that I love. I'll even take some old school tunes if that's what it will take.
While I wait for the radio stations to start playing my music, I have to resort to some mix tapes friends and family have made for me. It's a sad existence to rely on such lowly musical devices, but it's all I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment