Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Land Lubber

John and I spent the weekend with his family at a cabin at Bass Lake. We visited last year around October and it was a wonderfully crisp fall weekend. This year, it was still warm and the boat was out on the water waiting for some fun.

We left work early, but by the time we were on the road, everyone else had already been out on the boat and skiing on the water. I knew John was planning on doing the same. Me, on the other hand, that's a different story. The last time we were there, I enjoyed the closed in deck and a great book. I hadn't packed a book this time because I was determined to be more social, but getting wet was definitely not in my plans. I'm usually pretty afraid of deep water (any depth that would cover my head when my feet are touching the solid bottom), but I think I handled the weekend on water pretty well.

We arrived in time for dinner on Friday and met up with John's parents, his sister, and her boyfriend. We took enjoyed a traditional Sutherland meal out - Mexican - at a local restaurant that's within walking distance of the cabin. Afterwards, we walked to the lake and took the boat for a ride out to the other side for some Dryer's (for those of you east of the Appalachians, that's Edy's) ice cream. There were enough people around to help this scardy cat get into the boat without getting wet. I sat towards the middle of the boat, so no spray could touch me. Most importantly, all of the little scenarios of falling overboard that I had concocted didn't involve this part of the boat.

The next morning, we had a hearty breakfast and then made our way to the lake (a short walk from the cabin) where John and his dad took their turns at attempting to water ski. John made several valiant efforts, but never made it up on the skis. We made another jaunt to another side of the lake and had lunch which I washed down with some amazing lemonade. It tasted almost homemade, but it's actually Sunkist. Odd, but true. Straight from the fountain.

At some point during that day's journey on the boat, I got drenched with water. Not once, but twice. And the "funny" thing about it all was that they were both on accident. At least that's what Jim claimed. Jim was driving his family boat while I took a daring venture at the front of the boat. Being the land loving person that I am, I have no idea what the true nautical term is, but you get the gist. I was at the front of the boat and it took a good dive downwards into the water and a wave doused me. John wasn't finished laughing and I had barely gotten settled into my seat when the whole event happened AGAIN on a much grander scale.

After that, my time was spent trying to get dry and stay dry. We made another trip out to the center of the lake and Sharon and John took turns getting dragged around while sitting inside a disk shaped tube.

I was telling my brother about our time at the lake and he thought it sounded like fun, so here's some video of the whole event.
Well, after two weeks of attempts (off and on), I wasn't able to upload the video. I even waited for two hours and gave up on one occasion. You'll just have to trust me...




1 comment:

Emily L said...

I dont like getting wet either. I pretty much freaked out a few years ago on the log ride at California Adventure. You are a better sport than I am. :) Emily